Thursday, January 15, 2009

I will take appreciation and death for $300.00

Yes!, you read the title correctly. Last week I was very sick, strep throat, and death seemed very welcoming. I don't take for granted the ability to swallow these days. Last week I couldn't do it without wanting to cry and scream. Never had strep throat before, do not ever want it again thank you.
So since I couldn't work for three days the boss, Dusty, had to cover for me. Thankfully he had postponed his trip out of the country last week or else we would of had to close the shop for most of the week. The good thing about the boss covering for me is he got to see what I do and the sort of challenges I deal with. I have it pretty good here at Luv-A-Rug Victoria's Premier Area Rug Cleaning Experts. The boss pops into the office when he can or needs to, other than that I am here by myself running the shop. I was very surprised when he phoned me at home to let me know that he has a new appreciation for what I do. Some days I don't feel like I do much at all, but we all have those days when we don't feel like we accomplished anything. I have found that those days where you wondered why you even bothered are the days that you make the most impact on people.
I remember once, at our old location, a client brought in a rug and we where talking and it came up that her twenty something year old daughter had recently died. I didn't even think about it I just stretched out my arms and gave her a hug and let her cry on my shoulder, and I cried too. Heck how could I not? A hug is only a little thing, but at the moment it was everything. Funny how that just came back to me. The day I told my boss about my step-dad passing that afternoon he brought me a gorgeous bouquet of flowers, which are still alive almost three weeks later.
I have said this before and even titled a blog about it; The small moments are all we have. I didn't write anything about area rug cleaning today, but I hope that I caused you to pause and appreciate someone, or something even if only for a moment.
When it had snowed, Victoria, BC back in Dec 2008, I noticed a different feeling in the air. One day I had an appointment that I walked to and everyone I passed in the streets was smiling and saying hello and Merry Christmas. It was awesome. It doesn't happen often enough anymore. I try to either say hello or smile at everyone I pass in my daily journey. It not only lifts your spirits, but someone else's too. Remember that smiling won't crack your face and it is better to have smile lines than frown lines. Try it at least once if not ten times in a day. LOL!
Thanks for reading, RugloverMary