Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Words and Memories are never forgotten


I must start this blog off on a very sad note. Back in Oct 2008 I wrote a rug blog titled, Slammed into a brick wall. It was about my step-dad having cancer. I am sad to say that he lost his battle on Dec 25/2008. Yeah! He died on Christmas day. He was with my mom and very content. He was holding her hand, telling her that he loved her and then closed his eyes. I don't have a lot of memories of my step-dad, but I know he loved me dearly and he made my mom very happy over the last 9 years. He is very loved and will be missed.
Now onto work:
I received a comment on one of my first blogs I did back in January 2008 about Rug Education. I forget about old area rug blogs because everyday I am thinking of what to write about next. The questions I received were: What is the best type of area rugs that will stand up to an active 7 year child and if I had any recommendations for online area rug stores.
The answer to what is the best type of area rug for children is a machine woven synthetic rug with either olefin or polypropylene fibers. They are very durable, resists most stains and spills and lasts for years. One of the only down sides to synthetic area rugs is that they are not heat resistant, so they shouldn't be placed near a fireplace or other heat sources. Make sure you can see the pattern or colour of the rug on the backside/underside of the area rug. Try to steer away from area rugs that say they are hand tufted, or have a fabric backing, as beautiful as they are they don't stand up to spills and lots of activity.
As for online stores, that is a little more tricky to answer. I, for one, don't do any online shopping, gasp! I know, so it is hard to give advice about something I don't know much about. A good site to check out for online recommendations is The Rug Rag, they are your Premier Destination for Information about Area Rugs. The Rug Rag guys can answer your questions and give you advice on the right area rug for you.
Thanks for reading, RugloverMary