Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Lost Rug Passion

I must apologize for my lack of blog writing. Nothing has change with work or anything, clients are still bring in dirty area rugs and taking clean and healthy ones home. The only thing that has changed is me.

I've lost my passion for area rugs. It got lost in the shuffle of the day to day and I am still working on getting it back. A month ago a client brought in a Gabbeh (my favorite type of rug) and that didn't get me out of it, but then about two weeks ago a Chobi area rug was brought in for cleaning and that stirred a little passion. It has been a while since we've had a Chobi in for cleaning and I love Chobi area rugs. I would like to blame my lack of passion for my job on my personal life, but I try very hard to keep my personal life separate from my job. Take today for instance I am dealing with a chipped heart and you would never know it, I just look a little tired (which I am). My co-workers know that I am not that happy inside but I am at work and that is what I am concentrating on.
Someone told me today that it was very brave of me to say that I was dealing with a chipped heart (I say chipped and not broken because it wasn't a long thing). I found this perplexing. Why would it be brave of me to admit that I was human and had feelings? I am a very open person and have no problem expressing myself, hence the chipped heart, but I understand that some people have a hard time with saying how they feel.
Okay enough of that back to work and my lost rug Passion.
This job I have of being the front shop "girl" has so many opportunities and potential. Unfortunately my boss cannot tap into all my creative wants but some it would be nice to do. I would love to learn how to do hand repairs, do surging and binding of edges and learn more about area rugs in general. I am a hands on learner so reading about rugs on the Internet doesn't keep my attention very long. I need to be able to feel, see and explore to understand fully.


Today I can feel autumn in the air. I have heard the ducks and geese staring their migration south, lucky birds. Soon it is back to school cleaning, same as spring cleaning just different month. We get a surge of area rugs to clean in Sept. because now that all the family and visitors have gone home it is time to freshen up and remove the summer time dirt. I just had a horrid thought: Soon it will be Thanksgiving (in Canada), then Halloween (my favorite holiday) and then GULP! Christmas. Where has the year gone? This picture is from our doorway, there were ducks in the picture, but by the time I focused the camera they were out of sight. It is a cloudy almost gloomy day here in Victoria, BC.
This has been one unforgettable year that is for sure, especially work wise. The fire will not be forgotten any time soon, mostly because of our shrunken office space. I miss having the tubes to store the rugs in. It was fast and easy to find the clients area rug, not so much now. I really really don't like taking 1-2 minutes looking for a rug when you know it is here, but then you get that sinking feeling that we called them too soon and their rug isn't ready for pick up. It makes me feel incompetent, a feeling I do not like to feel and have felt a lot since we had to move to our new location.
This is how we have our rugs that are ready to go home
These are the rugs that are five feet and under. I must add a little note to my boss. My feelings of incompetence and frustration are not directed towards him in any way. I miss our old shop and how it was setup and the system we had there. Change isn't one of my strong points, unless I am in control of it and the fire through me for a loop I wasn't prepared for emotionally. It wouldn't matter what if our new rug cleaning shop was the same size as our old one, it still wouldn't feel the same. It is like visiting a relative you haven't seen since you were young and the awkwardness that goes with that. That is how I feel, you have all the old memories, but they don't correspond to the current surroundings.
This is where the large rugs rest before going home.








Enough of that. I have explained my feelings toward the move from Oak St so many times now that I am sick of it so you probably are too.
Writing this blog today should help get me back on track and write more like I used to.
Thanks for reading RugloverMary