Thursday, August 20, 2009

Trekking the Impossible

My morning started out like most do, the alarm went off I hit the snooze button and rolled over to go back to sleep.

I sleep with the radio on and today just as I was about to drift off I hear the DJ's talking to Jen Segger, Endurance Athlete.

She is Canadian, originally from Vancouver Island and she is running and biking the length of Vancouver Island next week. Her website is Challenge by Choice What she does as an endurance athlete is truly amazing.

I apparently live in a bubble because I don't know that much about Endurance Racing. I had seen commercials for extreme adventures like the Eco Challenge, but never thought much about the athlete's who do them.

Okay I had one thought......They are nuts! Who would want to put their lives in danger just to say that they survived?

Well many people do and they are doing it for great reasons.

Jen's website lead me to Rob Zahab, ultra runner. He has ran across the Sahara desert, which is now a movie. He walked to the South Pole and beat the previous record in doing so. I love the five minute talk he gives at TED.com about the South Pole trek.

Jen and Ray both belong to the foundation Impossible2Possible, where they inspire and educate children that anything is possible.

I am blown away by their, and may others, effort to push their limits. To be honest it makes me feel guilty that I have not done more with my life. I can't even stop eating sugar and glutton and here they are concurring extreme odds. Not that I want to be an Endurance Athlete, just more self motivated would be nice.

I hope that they will inspire and amaze you as they have me.

Thanks for reading, RugloverMary