Thursday, May 7, 2009

Rug Blog Rut and Cell Phone Driving

I have discovered why I have such a hard time writing area rug blogs. It isn't for lack of things to write about that is for sure.

I am too much of a perfectionist.

I try to make each blog tell a story and put as much information as I can in it. The problem with that is I get too caught up in the way I write it more so then what I am trying to say.

I have two blogs waiting to get finished. I end up writing a line or two and then erasing them. Then I try to rewrite everything and I end up losing the point I was trying to write about.

I get frustrated and then I end up writing only a few blogs a month instead of a few blogs a week. Other than lack of time there is no other real reason stopping me from writing a blog a day.

My need to make it perfect every time the first time is my downfall. I need to relax and let the word flow and hope for the best.

Today I am going to go off topic of area rugs just to switch gears.

I would like to put my two cents in on a hot topic in British Columbia right now: Banning cell phones while driving.

It is proven that talking on a cell while driving helps cause accidents due to driver distraction. I agree, but it isn't just that drivers are talking on the phone it is also that they have a cell phone in one hand and something else in the other.

I have seen people smoking or drinking coffee and are talking at the same time. If both of your hands are busy how are you driving, and don't say with your knees? What happens when the car ahead does something and you need to quickly advert your car? CRASH!


My view on this isn't just the cell phone aspect, it goes beyond that. There are long waits in traffic here in Victoria, BC due to the increase of more people living outside the city. The roads weren't design to handle the amount of traffic that they do. Most are one lane in each direction when they should be two lanes going each way.

Besides poor fore thinking by city planners years ago the biggest problems I see with drivers today are these:

  • NO RESPECT- there is less respect for people and traffic laws these days.
  • NO PATIENCE- everyone is in a hurry to get one car length ahead that they drive dangerously and don't obey the rules of the road.
  • WE ARE INDESTRUCTIBLE- With more safety features on cars and with SUV's being big we are led to believe that we are in a protective shell.
Patience is the biggest one. I have seen a lot of cars run red lights because they had to wait to make a left handed turn. Cars also pass the city bus in places where they shouldn't.

Cell phones are not the only distraction driver's have, but it definitely doesn't help people pay attention to the road and other drivers. We have become too comfortable in our cars because we spend a lot of time in them and a car isn't just a car any more. With features that allow for DVD players, video games, etc. it is no wonder we have become relaxed in them.

So the question still stands: Should cell phones be banned while driving?

I don't know, I don't drive and I just got a cell phone two weeks ago. As a pedestrian in this city it would be nice to know that when I enter a crosswalk that the driver wasn't distracted by the latest drama unfolding at home and I get hit.

We need to remember that we are not the only person in the world, be more courteous and stop making cars into mobile homes.

Thanks for reading RugloverMary