Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Luck is the Queen

I have the best boss ever!and here's why.

I entered a contest to win "The Ultimate Rock Star Juno Weekend" through my favorite local radio station. It included airfare to and from Vancouver, hotel, and tickets to several events happening throughout Fri. March 27 to Sunday Mar. 29, 2009.

All I did was answer a few questions about Canadian music and then I promptly forgot about the whole thing because who ever wins things like that. Well.........I WON!!!!!

For those of you who are not Canadian and do not know what the Juno's are, it is our annual National Music Award Show (the Canadian version of the Grammy's).

It is an amazing opportunity to meet Canada's best musicians and I cannot believe that I, me?, won. I haven't had the best start to this year so this just makes up for the challenges I have dealt with already.

My boss is very nice and is covering for me on Friday afternoon and Saturday. It took me two days to find someone who could go with me due to the short notice.

If the radio station had of drew a winner last week, I could have taken my first pick, a local DJ I am friends with. I was also picky about who my companion was going to be. I have to spend three days with this person and I want it to be just as exciting for them as it is for me and we need to be able to tolerate each other.

The lucky person is someone I am newly acquainted with, this weekend will help us get to know each other even more.

We get to go to the Juno Cup, Juno Fest,Juno Fan Fare, plus many more events and of course the Juno's themselves.

I am trying to keep my excitement to a very low level. If I get too excited I start to get expectations and then it all goes a rye, and I get disappointed!

We will do as much or as little of the events as we want. For me just being a part of this is more than enough. If all I won was tickets to the Juno's themselves that would have been enough, but I have so much more.

I really want to see the Juno Cup. I love hockey and music so this covers them both. Ex-NHLers play against the musicians in a charity hockey game. It will be interesting to see who will take it seriously and who is there to show off.

I will take lots of photo's and blog about it when I get back next week. The weirdest thing about this whole experience happened a few hours before I found out I won.

I was out having coffee with one of my friends and as I waited for my drink to be made I read my horoscope that was taped to the counter. I don't believe in horoscopes, they are for fun purposes only....or are they.

For Monday March 23, 2009 this particular newspaper said Aquarius: you know something good is about to happen. You don't know what it is or when it will happen, but you will make the most of it.

I paraphrased because I cannot remember it word for word. Pretty general stuff, however later that afternoon I won a fabulous trip. I still do not read too much into the horoscope, but it was a nice foreshadowing and will make a great paragraph in my autobiography someday.

Thanks for reading, RugloverMary