Thursday, August 27, 2009

Courtesy isn't dead yet!

I am glad to inform, or remind, you that courtesy is still alive and well, at least in Victoria, BC.

In the past week I have had an older gentleman let me on the bus first, and a younger man opened the door of the bus and then step back to let me off first.

Today I was going into a store and I opened the door and stepped back to let the guy leave the store. He stopped, held the door and said "Ladies First".

How sweet for that to have occurred. I also know of a few guys who don't start the car until their passengers are in the car and all the doors are closed. That surprised me when I noticed my friend doing that. It was very refreshing.

It is pretty sad that we are surprised when someone is courteous to us.

Have we lost that much respect for others as well as ourselves?

Have we become so disconnected from human interaction that we have forgotten that we are not the only one in the world?

With technology ruling our world more than ever, the need to connect on a personal level has gone to the wayside.

So many people feel empty and unfulfilled these days. With all the ways to connect with people these days via the Internet, it seems that we have more virtual friends than real live friends.

Take Facebook, I personally know 99% of my friends, can you say that?

All it takes is to stop, look up, smile, acknowledge the person in front of you, that small thing can brighten your day as well as someone else.

I am reminded of the story of a boy leaving school one Friday carrying ALL of his books. Some bullies knock them out of his arms and push him down. Another boy sees this and goes over to help him.

He helps him carry the books home. They realize that they have things in common and quickly become best friends. A t their high school graduation the boy who was bullied was Valedictorian and was up giving his speech.

He tells the story of how his best friend's act of kindness of helping him carry his books home that day saved his life.

For you see he was going home that day to commit suicide because he was sick of being picked on and ignored by his peers. His best friend was shocked to hear that.

It is very true that small acts of kindness go a long way. Our small actions mean more than we think.

Here is a picture of my very cute and adorable Chihuahua, Texas.

He reminds me all the time that a little love goes a long way or in his case a little belly rub gets you more love.

He also reminds me to live in the moment. When I am petting him that is all I can do at that moment and that is all that matters. Enjoying that simple act of petting my dog makes the world a bit better.

Remember that the energy that you put out into the world is what you get back. I know this to be true.

A slight attitude shift can change so much!

Smile, it doesn't hurt I promise.

Thanks for reading, RugloverMary