Monday, June 9, 2008

Out of the smoke

Big Sigh!
I would like to say that it is good to be back at work, but that would be a bit of a lie. I am glad to finally being able to get the rugs back to the owners after a month and a bit and it is good to be doing something. I didn't work much during the month of May and it took a mental toll on me. It sounds good and all, a month long vacation, but I didn't have pool boys bringing me tropical drinks or have a warm sunny beach to frolic on. No, I had bills to pay, stress and two and a half weeks of hell. Then I received a fabulous book in the mail and my outlook became very sunny. The book contains one of my poems that is published and my poem is the first one in the book. It made me very happy and things had a brighter outlook even though my circumstances did not change physically, just mentally.
Luv-A-Rug has a new temporary home and we are back in business. I have a mountain of work to do and it seems a little overwhelming right now. In a few weeks once all the rugs have gone home to their owners I will feel better. I really miss the old shop though. I miss talking with my co-workers and the groove we had at work. Now we are all in different places, but still doing the same work. Sadness is what I am feeling and there is no way of changing that.
This was the first fire I had to personally deal with and I do not wish to go through it again. I am only feeling a small fraction of the stress, my boss is living with a great deal more. I have learned something from this experience, as I should, it doesn't matter what physical environment you are in, it is all in how you look at it. It wasn't a fast turn around, but after I decided that there was only so much I could do about the situation and I shouldn't let the situation control my every moment I was a much happier person. I know that I am writing about something that we all know about, but until you actually put it into practice they are just words, plain and simple.
That is not to say that I am all lollipops and rainbows, never will I be, I am just saying that the fire and all it destroyed need not affect my happiness or how I viewed the world. I was really dreading coming back to work for Luv-A-Rug, I was pretty stressed about the new location and the changes I have to adapt to, I don't like change unless I am in control of it, but I can't do anything about it except do what I can with the limited resources that I have. If a problem arises there is only so much I can do. I also have to keep reminding myself I cannot fix every problem and I don't have to fix every problem. That is a hard one for all of us control freaks.
Thanks for reading, RugloverMary