Friday, April 25, 2008

The Rug Cleaning See-Saw

Another week has disappeared from sight. I thought I had written a blog earlier this week, but no I have not. I have been either too busy or I just didn't know what to write about. With a topic as broad as area rugs it can be hard to pick something to write about.
Today my co-worker and I discussed a topic and came up with MOTHS! When was the last time you vacuumed under your furniture?
Moths love warm, dry, undisturbed areas and under the sofa or dresser is prime real estate for wool's #1 enemy. I spent 4 months researching moths and from that I have written a web page you can read at www.luvarug.com The best defenses against moths are getting your woolens cleaned before storing them, vacuuming every nook and cranny to eliminate a food source and proper storage of woolens. Those are just a few you will read about on our website.
This week has been Belgium area rug week. Yesterday alone I took in 6 for cleaning and some for fringe removal. At the beginning on April we had a run on for getting a machine fringe added. I think it was 8 rugs for re-fringing in a 7 day period, pretty good considering in the year I have been here I think we've had 7 orders for re-fringing. The cost of re-fringing is a shock to some people and they opt for a binding or surging the ends instead. I wish we had access to more colours. We have 3 colours, white, golden and light grey in 5 different fringe options. Other colours maybe available, but the cost of having them in stock for that one in million chance someone may want red or blue fringes isn't worth it. Machine wool fringes have gone out of style due to the fact that they don't last as long as cotton fringes do, although if you have read past blogs you know how I feel about fringes and there is no need to keep repeating myself.
Have a great weekend, here in Victoria we actually get to see the sun and have warmer temps for once.
Thanks for reading, RugloverMary